Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Three Tips From A Napa Trip

Proud Of Their Dad


Our family recently went to the Napa Valley to watch my husband run a marathon. It was great fun, but didn't make the best material for a budget day trip. However, I can pass on three tips:

Tip #1  If you're driving north to Napa along route 121, just south of 116 is a terrific fruit stand called The Fruit Basket. Not only do they sell fruit that is fresh and abundant, they also sell packaged nuts, candy, trail mix, dried fruit, granola, beans, pasta, jam, bread . . You can really stock up here and the prices seemed right.

The Fruit Basket

Quite A Variety!

Tip #2  The Chablis Inn at 3360 Solano Avenue, Napa, CA, is a very good budget hotel. They just replaced all their mattresses and pillows with new ones, and I can testify that our queen size bed was very comfortable. This wasn't a pretty hotel, but it was comfortable and clean, and the price was good. So if you want to go the budget route, I recommend the Chablis Inn.

New Mattresses And Bedding!

Tip #3  I've saved the best for last. My two kids really didn't want to share a bed, which is understandable as they are now ages 12 and 10. So my ingenious solution was for my son to bring his sleeping bag; then at the the hotel, I untucked half the sheets and covers on the kids' mattress and pushed them to one side of the bed. We placed my son's sleeping bag on the other side - sans sheets/covers. My daughter got to have all the covers - no sharing - and my son got his sleeping bag on a comfortable mattress, with a hotel pillow. Guess what? They didn't fight over the covers, they each stayed on their side of the bed (it's hard to stretch out in a sleeping bag) and they slept great! My son says, I'm a genius, and in this case, I have to agree with him.

Happy Children After A Good Night's Sleep

So if you go the budget route in Napa, I hope these three tips help. But honestly, I think the Napa Valley is a trip that's best for adults, staying in a non-budget B&B, doing some non-budget dining and wine-tasting. Well, we can dream, can't we?

If you have some tips for traveling with children in the Napa Valley, please feel free to share them in the Comments section! Thank you.

No comments: