Friday, October 3, 2014

A Hyperactive Pumpkin Patch



If you want to visit a pumpkin patch, the place to go is Half Moon Bay, California. They call themselves the"Pumpkin Capital of the World," and they just might be right. There are many pumpkin patches to choose from along Highway 92, the one I'll focus on today is the one that attracts the most kids – Lemos Farm.

I call this a hyperactive pumpkin patch because there is so much going on - you don't go there for peace and quiet. Our family has been there a few times but now no one wants to go anymore, we've had our fill. So the few photos I'm posting today are several years old, but believe me, we did enjoy our visits.

Dad Having Fun
The Farm is open year-round. They have pony rides for the tots (they ride around in a small circle), a sweet petting zoo with friendly animals - 

I had to keep the goats from eating the beads on her socks!

 - a play area, a "train" ride (when we rode it, it went through a skeleton town with friendly animated skeletons. It may have changed because they now call it Cowboy Country), a hay ride in a pickup truck, laser tag (new this year), a jump house, and a haunted house. During the month of October, the entire area is decorated with amusing and slightly scary Halloween displays. And somewhere in all that jumble they actually sell pumpkins! Oh yes, they also have a food stand that sells some delicious treats.

To this day, we don't know what she was upset about!

One of my favorite memories is when I took the kids through the haunted house. You can choose the "fun version" or the scary version. We chose the fun version but it turned out to be way too scary for my young children (6 and 4).

The house is deceptive, it looks small, but once inside you walk through so many short hallways that it seems endless. And once you go in there is no turning back. As soon we entered, the combination of scary background music, screeching, darkness, strings hanging from the ceiling and touching your face, and most of all the creatures jumping out at you (I don't know if they were real or fake), combined to scare the bejeepers out of my children. They took two steps in and spent the rest of the walk with their eyes closed, heads buried into my ribs, clutching me around the waist, screaming and crying. And I (bad mom), couldn't help but laugh the entire time, whenever I wasn't screeching myself. So parents be warned.

Upon exiting, I had to grab my son to keep him from running away in total panic!

If you go: There are many photo opportunities at this farm so remember to bring a camera. And check the weather, it can get very hot in Half Moon Bay during an Indian summer.

Climbing on the tractor was free last time I checked!

Prices: The farm is free but each activity costs a separate amount of money, varying between $1 and $10 (laser tag). They have day passes, $17 for kids, $5 for adults, but the day pass does not include laser tag, the Dig Zone or the wagon ride. The pumpkins vary in price depending on the size.

What I recommend: We used to enjoy the sights of the farm for free, the petting zoo for $1 each, the train ride and buy a treat or two. And when we were done playing we would buy some pumpkins. Choose your favorite activities and limit it to that, unless you're totally gung ho, in which case I'd recommend a day pass.


Directions:  Google this - 12320 San Mateo Rd. (Hwy 92)
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
- and when you are driving down Highway 92 toward the coast, Lemos Farm is one of the first pumpkin patches on the right. Drive slowly and watch for cross traffic. I also recommend going early in the morning. Traffic on the weekends backs up almost all the way to the freeway!


If all this sounds too hyperactive for you, my next blog will be about a more traditional pumpkin patch.

No comments: